When to Worry About Back Pain During Pregnancy?
Back pain during pregnancy is a common complaint experienced by many expectant mothers. While some level of discomfort is expected due to the physical changes that occur during pregnancy, persistent and severe back pain can be a cause for concern.
However, at Creekside Chiropractic in Salt Lake City, UT, we can help you alleviate this discomfort and keep you happy all through your motherhood journey. Whether you’re experiencing upper, middle, or lower back pain, always count on us for your help in this exciting period.
In the meantime, here we discuss more about the causes of back pain during pregnancy, its severity that signals concern, and practical alleviation methods. Keep reading
Causes of Back Pain During Pregnancy
Pregnancy often involves significant body changes affecting the spine and back muscles. As such, some common causes of back pain during pregnancy could be;
- Weight gain: As the baby grows and the uterus expands, more pressure on the spine triggers back pain strains.
- Posture changes: Similarly, as the baby grows, the center of gravity shifts, and the body compensates by altering its posture. This often leads to unexpected strain on back muscles, causing pain.
- Hormonal changes: Your back pain could also be due to hormonal changes. For instance, the release of the relaxin hormone, which loosens the ligaments and joints in the pelvic area to prepare for childbirth, could trigger anxiety and strain on your back muscles.
- Muscle separation: As the uterus expands, the rectus abdominis muscles in the abdomen may separate, leading to weakness in the abdominal muscles and added strain on the back muscles.
When to Worry About Back Pain During Pregnancy
Certain back pain signs can significantly worry you in your overall mothering experience. These are the symptoms like;
- Pain in the upper back: Back pain in the upper right abdomen can be a sign of pre-eclampsia, a potentially life-threatening complication that can occur during pregnancy.
- Pain accompanied by contractions: If regular contractions accompany the back pain, it could be a sign of preterm labor. So it needs your concern.
- Pain accompanied by other symptoms: If the back pain is accompanied by symptoms such as fever, chills, or vaginal bleeding, it could indicate a more serious problem.
- Pain that worsens over time: If the pain gets worse over time, it could be a sign of a more serious issue.
So if any of these symptoms rocks your back, consult a doctor immediately before the condition escalates.
Tips for Relieving Back Pain During Pregnancy
To alleviate back pain during pregnancy, try practicing good posture, wearing comfortable shoes with good support, using heat or cold therapy, staying active with gentle exercises like walking or swimming, getting a prenatal massage to relax your muscles, and using pillows for support while sleeping.
If these measures don’t alleviate your pain, Creekside Chiropractic techniques can help.
Chiropractic Treatment of Back Pain During Pregnancy at Salt Lake City, UT
If you’re experiencing lower back pain during pregnancy, Creekside Chiropractic in Salt Lake City, UT, offers safe and effective chiropractic treatments to help alleviate your pain. Our experienced chiropractor uses state-at-the-art equipment and techniques to alleviate your condition. Whether through use of spinal manipulation, chiropractic adjustments and pregnancy back pain relief exercises. We will work with you to tailor a treatment plan for your schedule and condition. Schedule an appointment, or visit our physical clinic in Salt Lake City today.